Where a property has been suitably adapted or has additional features to meet the special needs of a resident disabled person, there is an entitlement to a 25 per cent reduction in your rates.
Do you qualify for Disabled Persons Allowance?
This allowance is not means tested. Therefore you do not need to provide information about your income and savings to be eligible.
It is an entitlement to a 25 per cent reduction in rates for any household where both the following criteria are met:
- a person with a disability lives
- where the property has been adapted or has additional facilities added
There must be a clear link between how the property has been adapted and the disability or the Disabled Persons Allowance (DPA) will not be paid.
Criteria for adaptations
The property must be adapted to meet the needs of a person with a disability who lives in your home. The types of adaptations that qualify are:
- a room, other than a kitchen, bathroom or toilet, which is mainly used by the person with a disability for treatment or therapy
- an extra kitchen for the person with a disability
- an extra toilet for the person with a disability
- an extra bathroom
- sufficient floor space to use a wheelchair easily
Get an application form by contacting LPS as follows:
- phone: 0300 200 7801 (charged at local rate)